My Philosophy About Working With Children

I believe we can all think back to a time when a teacher touched our lives and made us feel special, brilliant, or loved. It’s equally easy to remember the teachers who brought negativity into the classroom or made a stinging comment that stuck with us through life.

With this awareness, and keeping in mind the immense responsibility and power teachers naturally hold as authority figures, role models, and care-givers, I have developed the following core beliefs about working with children, regardless of context:

  1. Meet each child where they are, regardless of educational history, socioeconomic status, developmental level, social skills, etc.
  2. Realize that children deserve the same respect as adults - they just happen to be younger than us!
  3. Create a rhythm to help ease children through the day using song, ritual, music and movement, or anything else that seems appropriate for the group you are working with.
  4. Always be on the lookout for teachable moments! Follow through on bringing child-initiated and emergent interests into the classroom and building on prior learning experiences.
  5. Observe, listen to, and watch the children in search of opportunities to help the children understand how all things are connected.
  6. Trust my intuition and teach with my heart.
  7. "Never stop learning, growing, and loving" is a life philosophy I hope to pass on to the children I work with, even if it's only in small ways.